Eat like the Romans do, or the Greeks or the French or even the Spaniards with the worldâ€™s healthiest diet. The Mediterranean diet is actually not a weight loss diet; it is how the people who live along the Mediterranean Sea eat and other lifestyle factors.
Rich in fruits and vegetables along with healthy fats, legumes and whole grains, this diet has been researched in its ability to decrease your risk for heart disease, diabetes, obesity and some forms of cancer. It is based on food availability (seasonality) and cultural preferences.
How Do I Follow It?
Start eating like the Mediterraneans.
- Eat a variety of fruits and veggies such as broccoli, tomatoes, eggplant, spinach, olives, grapes, and figs.
- Add legumes to your meals like chickpeas, beans and lentils.
- Consume whole grains i.e. oats, brown rice, pasta, and couscous.
- Bread at times is eaten with dipping oil, not butter or margarine.
- Choice healthy unsaturated fats and avoid saturated fats. 35% to 40% of your total calories will come from healthy fats such as extra virgin olive oil, canola oil, soybean oil, avocados, nuts and seeds. Avoid products like butter, palm and coconut oils.
- Consume moderate amounts of low-fat dairy like cheese and yogurt.
- Eat seafood at least a couple times a week preferably sardines, tuna, mackerel, salmon, or herring.
- Donâ€™t eat poultry and eggs everyday; limit to weekly consumption.
- Red meat should be limited to just a few times per month.
- Limit sweets and desserts to just a few times a week.
- Red wine is the alcohol of choice to be drunk in moderation.
- Eat mostly vegetarian dishes during the week.
- Use a variety of herbs and spices to jazz up dishes while avoiding salt.
The Mediterraneans focus on leisurely dining with their families. Meals can last 2 to 3 hours. They do not scoff down their meals in a hurried fashion, they relish every bite.
As for exercise, Mediterraneans focus on being physically active by walking, biking or swimming regularly.
- Other than all the health benefits mentioned above, you will feel more energized with glowing skin and probably happier with life.
- Hmmmmâ€¦unless all you want to eat is sweets, meat and unhealthy fats, while being sedentary then this diet is not for you.
Does “The Mediterranean Diet” Work?
This diet is great for everyone whether you are male or female, young or old. Learn to adopt healthier foods into your meals without losing flavor.